Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Trivial Banalities


Even though the forecast for Koles  X-mas is looking very sunny indeed, I still had a few minute gift ideas that needed attending to. Elliette and I invited Papa-Grandma (a.k.a. Nancys mom) out for lunch, and made our way out to the Cabelas in East Hartford. I found what I was looking for right away (just some little $10 gifts that will be a ton of semi-dangerous fun for Kole and I to do together), wandered around for a bit looking at cast-iron dutch ovens and huge canvas tents with indoor-stove capabilities, then got an Elk burger for lunch. I rarely eat red meat, so to me it tasted alot like cow meat...maybe a little chewier, but nothing very exotic. For people not familiar, Cabelas is the "largest outfitter for the outdoor sportsman", but as far as "sportsmen" go, they tend to cater to the shooting and killing variety. While I don't find anything wrong with killing animals you've raised for food or hunting for your dinner, I usually feel very uncomfortable in these kinds of places. I am of the opinion that a good deal of the people who claim to be hunting to "thin the herd" and "protect the species" really just like to kill stuff. I understand this is a mass-generalization...but I still am very uncomfortable with the whole set-up.



 
Got my "baby greenman/Elliette" tattoo worked on a few days ago...almost done! Lou says there is only one more sitting to get the rest of the sleeve done. (insert sigh of relief here)

No comments:

Post a Comment